Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oregon Trail

So I've now been in Portland, OR, since last Friday night. My journey here was not as difficult as I was taught by the game Oregon Trail back in elementary school:

Poor Nicole!

I have to say that Oregon was pretty much what I expected from when I crossed into it from California: cow pastures, farms, beautiful forested mountains. And occasionally you see one of those beautifully forested mountains with half of the trees chopped down. It's a pretty jarring visual. I'm sure it has something to do with the reputation Oregonians have for being environmentally conscious.

Also, along the way I could tell why the two Pac-10 schools in the state chose their colors. University of Oregon chose the beautiful green of the trees and fields and yellow of the flowers and sun. Oregon State chose the lovely orange of the road construction signs and cones that peppered about a quarter of the entire drive along interstate 5 from the border through Portland. Of course, UO's uniforms have some weird tire-tread kind of stuff on the shoulders and knees, so maybe both schools are trying to channel the power of interstate 5 with their designs.

Starting with the majestic colors of nature and ending with this? Sigh.

I'll post more about Portland later. This city is amazing. Granted, the rain the past two days is downgrading my opinion of it a little bit, but really, it's a beautiful and fun city. I hope you all are doing well. I'm off to Salt Lake City in the morning.

1 comment:

Fernetiquette said...

Oregon's uniforms have dysentery.