Monday, March 15, 2010

Random Thought About Guatemala #1

So Guatemala's sewage system is unable to handle toilet paper being flushed into it. Therefore, next to all of the flush-toilets (as opposed to outhouses at more rustic resorts), there are little trash cans for used toilet paper. First, it doesn't smell quite as terrible as I would have thought. My random thought, though: I haven't seen one single bidet in the entire country. If you were forced to deal with (be around, dispose of, etc.) used toilet paper, wouldn't that be an incentive to take a simple step to try and ensure that the used toilet paper is a bit cleaner? Maybe they do exist in the nicer places that I have been avoiding on my budget-conscious trip. In poorer areas (read: almost all of the country), it would be a luxury. I wonder if there are any public health concerns that might justify the investment.

1 comment:

Jled said...

Those Brazilians sure know how to make a 3rd World shower head. "The cleaning power of electricity" - awesome.